JPMorgan Chase Commercial Bank Risk - GHHN - VP - Senior Underwriter in Dallas, Texas
Job Description – Sr. Underwriter, GHHN
The GHHN group is part of JPMorgan Chase's Commercial Bank and is focused on expanding its significant business to the Government, Healthcare, Higher Education and Not for Profit segments. JP Morgan Chase's Middle Market Banking and Specialized Industries (MMBSI) footprint covers over 23,000+ clients with over 600 bankers in 26 states across the United States.
The GHHN credit organization has an opportunity available for a Sr. Underwriter based in Dallas, Texas. The GHHN credit organization partners with the sales organization to provide sophisticated lending products and services to our targeted client base. This position would be part of a team of 6 Credit Professionals and would be focused on Healthcare, Higher Education and Not for Profit clients and prospects.
As a Sr. Underwriter, your primary role is to take complete ownership of your portfolio and to utilize excellent credit skills to work independently on the portfolio of Healthcare, Higher Education and Not for Profit customer relationships assigned to you. You will accurately assess the risk in your portfolio, diligently managing the portfolio (i.e. new credit opportunities, renewals, modifications, managing credit metrics), and meeting all deadlines. You will be a partner to the GHHN Bankers in the Market, striving to balance sales and credit quality goals. You will be looked to as an expert on structuring and Credit Policy and will be the "go to" person for the Bankers. You will be looked upon as a leader both within and outside of the credit organization; you will provide depth to the local credit leadership team and serve as a mentor to less experienced underwriters and bankers. You will work in a fast-paced environment and you will be expected to balance multiple requests within a defined timeframe.
Responsibilities and qualifications include but are not limited to:
· Taking complete ownership of your GHHN portfolio, acting with a sense of urgency, doing what it takes to effectively get the job done.
· Independently and confidently driving the credit process both within the Bank and externally by organizing deal team meetings, leading conversations and presenting and negotiating credit terms with clients and prospects.
· Structuring transactions by being open minded and creative and thinking from the standpoint of "how can we do this deal" while balancing the risk/reward rather than concluding immediately that the deal cannot be done. Additionally, you will provide ideas/suggestions on how to market our structure to the client.
· Utilizing excellent credit skills to author well thought out and concise analysis of GNNH relationships using appropriate structure and identifying key risks.
· Working in partnership with the Bankers to develop fulsome client relationships and being looked to as the "go to" person when the Bankers are out.
· Developing strong professional relationships with clients; engaging them in robust discussions about their financial performance and market events affecting their businesses.
· Working proactively, in a constructive, diplomatic manner with both internal and external contacts to keep transactions moving.
· Providing leadership in the market by being a positive contributor to the team including being a mentor to less experienced team members and embracing change.
· Demonstrating excellent communication skills both internally and externally and using those communication skills to effectively solve problems.
· Demonstrating the ability and courage to voice your opinion in a clear, concise manner; articulating the reasons for your decisions to the Bankers, Management and clients.
BA/BBA/ MBA and completion of a major corporate bank credit trainingprogram (or the equivalent corporate banking/ municipal financeexperience) and typically minimum of 8 years in banking/ lendingexperience which might include credit, deal structuring and marketing.
Significant accounting and finance knowledge, and commercial banking experience.
Strong understanding of the GHHN sector and Healthcare, Higher Education and Not for Profit finance structures is preferred.
Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical and problem solving skills.
Ability to mentor junior underwriters and analysts.
Occasional regional travel will be required in support of credit due diligence.
JPMorgan Chase is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.